Open Sky Media seeks an experienced editor to join our team and lead Austin Monthly, the award-winning city magazine of Texas’ state capitol.
Reporting to the editorial director, this is a leadership position that will manage a small team of staff editors and help define and execute strategy for growing Austin Monthly. The ideal candidate will have a strong editorial background and an innovative approach to content creation and brand development. This role will also be expected to contribute to other Open Sky Media products, including ancillary and custom publications, digital platforms, and events.
We value team players who are dedicated to creating a superior product every month and working collaboratively in an editorial environment where creative thinking, problem solving and multitasking are essential skills.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
• Managing all editorial production for Austin Monthly
• Working collaboratively with editors and art department in development of stories from idea phase to production
• Cultivating stable of freelance writers
• Managing freelance budget
• Working with editorial director, president and VP sales to develop editorial strategy that meets interests of key audience groups
• Leading editorial team in creating maintaining the brand and voice of the magazine across all channels
• Developing relationships with community partners, leaders and organizations to further the brand and strengthen our connection with readers and partners
• Support other Open Sky Media publications through various ways, to possibly include brainstorming, writing and editing
• Contributing ideas for brand development, audience growth and new business opportunities
• Collaborating across teams to support all products under the Open Sky Media umbrella
• 5+ years experience in journalism, with minimum 2 years on staff at a magazine
• Minimum 1 year managerial experience
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
• Insider knowledge of life in Austin
• Exceptional time-management, problem solving, planning, organizational and administrative skills.
• Professional communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work with a variety of personality styles and diffuse tense situations
• Collaborative, open leadership style; knows when to delegate and enjoys helping others develop their skills
• The ability to work independently, while being receptive to feedback
• A strong industry reputation
• A flexible attitude and an open mind to new approaches in a changing industry
Please send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three clips to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Sky Media publishes city and lifestyle publications in the heart of Texas. Its portfolio includes Austin Monthly, San Antonio Magazine, Austin Home, Casa San Antonio and Texas Music. The company’s award-winning creative teams also help tell the stories of community partners through custom publications, such as Authentic Texas, Big Give, I Live Here I Give Here and Platinum Top 50 Realtor Directory. Though huge proponents of the power of print, OSM’s brands also connect with audiences digitally and in person at live events.
Post Expires on February 14th, 2019